Friday, April 4, 2014

VPA Graduate Spotlight: Ben Boeshans

Ben Boeshans graduated from Michigan Tech with a major in Audio Production & Technology.


1. Tell me about your work since graduating from Tech.

Since graduating from Tech, I’ve worked for Acoustic Dimensions in Dallas designing sound systems. The company designs audio, lighting, video, acoustics, rigging and several other aspects of any spaces where a performance is held. My role in designing systems has been to meet with clients to understand their wants needs and then transform them into a system that meets their needs.

2. Why did you choose to major in Audio Production and Technology at Tech?

I chose the program because it has a unique application of Electrical Engineering Technology and live sound. When I was looking for a program (and likely still now) most programs available either concentrated on studio sound or EET and not a combination of both.

3. What is the most important thing you learned while at Tech?

It’s certainly hard to pinpoint a single thing that I learned. I think it was the value of learning from and working with as many people as possible. Classes are of course important, but learning from the different groups that toured through - talking to their crews and seeing how they did things has been invaluable. Learning to absorb and process information from several viewpoints has been a great asset.

4. What inspires you?

I’m inspired to solve problems. How can I make speech work in a reverberant space? How can I enhance fan experience at a hockey game? I appreciate when a project comes together and a client is able to utilize their space unlike they have before because of a solution that we were able to put forth.

5. How have your experiences at Tech influenced your current work?

Tech provided a foundation of information I could use as a springboard. Software changes, products change but the process of learning both doesn’t. Speaker technologies and products change, but the physics of sound doesn’t.

6. What is the most amazing thing you have done since graduating?

The amazing things I’ve done all center around the experiences I’ve helped to create. From Formula 1 to college hockey to churches all of the projects have created amazing experiences for those who enter the space.

7. What would be your advice to students choosing to major in Sound Design or Audio Production and Technology at Michigan Tech?

Get involved in anything sound you can - don’t let an opportunity pass you by.